Friday, November 09, 2007

Top Reasons It's Hard Being a Single Mom...

I was going to do why I hate being a single mom...but that just isnt right. I dont hate anything about being a mom at all, the single part just makes it more difficult.

I want to preface this by saying my mom helps out alot. When Im cleaning our room, I dont have to keep an eye on Sunrise the whole time. Her playroom is the dining room which is in direct view of the living room, so grandma(or affectionatly called memaw)can see her too. So in between my Sunrise checks, if there is a problem then memaw either deals with it...or yells for me to deal with it. But there are things Memaw doesnt want to do...because well, she is memaw and shouldnt have to.

  1. Money....need I say more?
  2. Getting someone to babysit when Memaw is working or is just too tired from working.
  3. After dinner messes! Having to be the only one responsible for cleaning up the mess when I am just to tired.
  4. Sick days(hers). When she gets sick, I am the one that has to take time off work to be with her. Such as the week she spent in the hospital with RSV, or the time she had rotovirus when she was only 3 months old...another week there.
  5. Sick days(Mine)...Ughhh how do you take care of a 2 year old hanging over the toilet from eating bad bologna.
  6. Sitting in ER alone with a child that has a 104 degree fever vomitting everywhere. Not to mention the loneliness of sitting there. Or someone to put their arms around you to say..it will be ok.
  7. Having someone there to keep an ear out while she is sleeping when you realize at 10:30 at night that you need to get milk, or bread..etc.
  8. When I wanna go right home after work, but have to go pick her up from daycare.
  9. Hearing people say "Oh you are a single mom, I am sorry".
  10. Having noone take a photo of you with your wonderful marvelous child.
  11. Having noone to give you an opinion on what to by, such as Christmas presents, clothing, etc.
  12. Noone to share the feeding duties or the cleaning up duties for that case.
  13. Sleeping in is MISSED!
  14. Having someone there when they told me that Sunrise might have downs when I was pregnant.
  15. The boring days in the hospital for a month prior to having her...noone to visit except Memaw..but she was exhausted all the time from all the work.
  16. Having someone there to say "This is Sunrises daddy".

That is all I can think of right now. As i typed it Im sitting here thinking, wow people will really think Im lazy and terrible....But Im not. I work hard at taking care of my daughter, it just gets a little overwhelming at times.

The next posts will be alot better. Next one will be the things I LOVE about being a mom. Then I will do the things I LOVE about being a SINGLE mom.

For now...much love

8 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I was a single mom from the time my daughter was 2 to when she was about 6. It was tough indeed and I could relate to just about everything you posted and without my Mom, I couldn't have done it. Well, I could have but she made it much easier. I don't know you but I'm proud of you...from a former single Mommy to another. ;) Stay strong and in love with your baby.

11/21/2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Deirdre said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

I can completely relate to every single one of them, except for the whole bad bolgna thing. Yikes!
I've enjoyed reading and look forward to reading more. :)

12/02/2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

You do so good for Sunrise! What a great mama--single or not!

12/06/2007 11:29 PM  
Blogger Stardoll40 said...

Being a single mother of a child with Autism is HARD! NO support from the father, what-so-ever!! Being the only one who takes her to speech & occupational therapy 3 times per week! Being the one who has to be home for 2.5 hrs 5 times per week for her ABA sessions because they can not do the sessions at a daycare. Being the only one who will pay for daycare when the time comes. Sometimes I don't feel like talking because I'm tired, depressed, stressed or just want to veg...but I have to find things to say or talk about so my child continues to hear words. I'm also finding out who my true friends are...NO ONE! I have so called friends who call talking about BS on t.v., stupid reality shows, dumb ass dates they went on, and not one time do they ever ask me how my daughter is doing! I have a friend who had her children starting in her teenage years (5 kids total) and I can remember inviting her every time I went out (whether she could go or not) and even paying for babysitters a few times so she could go out with me but because I waiting until I was 39 yrs old to have my child, she's out all the time and the only time she's asked me out is to come out is for her birthday. Self absorbed bitch! I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around...I know my life will not always be this way, and someday they (friends) will need me...I won't be there!

8/29/2010 6:11 PM  
Blogger Erica Jones said...

You are so right in everything you blogged about being a single mom. I love that you wrote the truth

3/13/2011 8:59 PM  
Blogger Erica Jones said...

Tracy, I feel the same way. No friends. It leaves me nothing but angry

3/13/2011 9:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, i can so relate, not many girlfriends here....but seems like they can chat with me on facebook of course, but they never have time for me outside of that.....:(

11/25/2012 8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, i can so relate, not many girlfriends here....but seems like they can chat with me on facebook of course, but they never have time for me outside of that.....:(

11/25/2012 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home