Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dear Wilma (Commenter)

I received a comment back on February 2 that I did not see because Haloscan has not been nice to me lately and tells me when I receive comments, so I am a little slow about responding but I wanted to respond to this one.

I wrote a post awhile back about the Top Reasons It's Hard Being a Single Mom.  And Wilma responded to it by saying the following:

"What are you complaining about? Sounds like you have it pretty easy. Try being a single mom of 2, working full-time and not being able to go back to school because you can't afford to go part-time or quit your job in order to take classes. I have no help, my mother has been dead 10+ years, siblings live out-of-state, children's father live out-of-state and my father is too sick to even care for himself. There is no "alone or down time" and forget a "night out", what's that? You should appreciate your situation and the help your mother gives you, there are a lot harder lives out there than yours, try mine!"

MY RESPONSE:
Wilma,  I am sorry you have it so hard.  It sucks that things are not what you want them to be, and I respect your wanting to give me your opinion, just as I should be respected for my opinion.  Yes I have been blessed with a family that helps out, and I am very thankful for that, but it doesn't take away fromt he fact that it is still hard. My blog is from my viewpoint, not yours, Steve, Mary's, or George's.  I can only write about what *I* know.

To address a few things...I have only had a night out 8 times since Sunrise has been born, and 3 times in the last 2 years. So I don't take pitty on you for not having nights out.  Yes my mom does help out, and yes I am very thankful for her, but she does not help out as much as one thinks.  She works many hours in order to keep health insurance for her and my father. My father has heart problems and is a business owner, so to have insurance that he purchases would be outlandish. I only ask my mom for things when I no longer have any alternatives.

As far as school goes, anyone can go back to school, it is just a matter of finding a way to do it.  That excuse does not wash for me.  When I graduate and start working full time, I will be going back to school to further my education.  At that time, I will not be having as much assistance from my family as I do...but I know it can be done. I challenge you to try and find the resources to do so.

I am sorry that you are bitter towards me because you think I have it so good...but you are mistaken in thinking just how good I have it.  I never stated I have it harder than anyone else...what I did say is that it is hard, and any single parent that reads my blog will agree.  It maybe hard for me in one aspect, but easy for someone else in another aspect...ask any of my single blogging friends, I am sure they will agree.  In fact, I am sure this will elicit comments from my blogging friends to state just how they have it difficult too.

I wish you luck in finding happiness.  I hope that this bitterness that you hold against those who have it "easier" will be lifted.  Walk a mile in my shoes, then you can criticize me...I don't criticize you because your shoes are apparently to small for me to walk in.

Oh yeah...and check out why I love being a Mom...I don't always complain.

Good Luck
Dawn

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home